A 2003 french movie by Christophe Honoré, story of a middle class family, with four brothers. the plot starts with one of the brothers discovering that he is HIV positive and it follows his ordeal in conveying this to his family and friends..
the movie raises a lot of questions and leaves the viewer to ponder upon issues like:
– should a truth such as this be kept a secret from little brother?
– is it possible to keep it a secret from a family member you live with? can the elders hide their emotional reactions from their children?
– if nature and nurture both influence an individuals sexuality, how much does brotherly intimacy, shielded single mothers love or a sexually active parents influence a person’s sexuality? how should each of these members interact with a teenager?
– how does an teenager express his bottled frustration and the anger for being ignored or kept guarded?
– how all independent lives where each is allowed to live their personal identities affect each other?
from leo’s perspective:
– what about companionship? should he live with a lover or with family far away?
– should he live alone or drag the family into the world of hiv?
– will he ever be able to have sex again?
– what about raising children or just living the life without worrying about anything?
– can he ever have sex again?
– is he influencing his younger brother to become gay by getting very close to him?
– how can he love his brother and yet not wish him to take the same path to hiv as himself?
Have you seen it? What did you think?